A) What is SafeEntry Gateway (SEGW)?
The SafeEntry Gateway (SEGW) is a new check-in method that allows individuals to check in more quickly and seamlessly, and to verify that their TraceTogether (TT) Token is working as intended. It will be deployed as an additional mode of SafeEntry check-in.
Businesses can choose to deploy SEGW in two ways:
- By downloading/upgrading the SafeEntry (Business) App to version 1.1.0.
- By registering for an SEGW Box (please scroll down to check if your venue is eligible).
Both versions perform the same function to detect Bluetooth signals from the TraceTogether (TT) App and TT Token for SafeEntry check-in.
The user checks in by bringing the TraceTogether (TT) Token or App close to the SEGW (in the range of 1-25cm).
- Businesses using the SafeEntry (Business) app with SEGW function will see a pop-up on their mobile screen, indicating a successful check-in.
- Businesses using the SEGW Box will see a green light and hear a beep sound to indicate that check-in is successful.
The SEGW need only be deployed for SafeEntry check-in. Businesses are not required to set up SEGW for check-out.
Please note that SEGW does not work with the SingPass Mobile app, it only detects the TT Token or App.
B) How should businesses implement SEGW?
Businesses can choose one of the following:
- Implement SEGW on their own by downloading/upgrading the SafeEntry (Business) App from Version 1.1.0 onwards on iPhones, Android mobile phones or tablets#.
The SafeEntry (Business) App currently used by many businesses to scan IDs’ barcodes and Token’s QR codes will be upgraded from March to include the SEGW feature, which will detect the TT Token and TT App for check-in to SafeEntry.
# The SEGW feature on SafeEntry (Business) App should work on most Android phones above Android version 5.0, and iPhones and iPads above iOS 10. If you would like to check for the list of mobile devices tested to be compatible with the SEGW feature you may refer to the list below. The list is non-exhaustive and will be updated progressively.
Galaxy X Cover 4s
Galaxy J7 Pro
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy Note 10
Galaxy S7 Edge
Galaxy S8 plus
Galaxy S9 Plus
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Air 2
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 2 XL
Huawei Nova 2i
Huawei MatePad T 10s
Oppo Reno 2z
Sony Xperia 1
Sony Xperia XA2
Sony Xperia 5
Xiaomi Mi 4
- Selected public-facing venues have the option of applying for a SEGW Box, which is a hardware device that functions in the same way as the SafeEntry (Business) app. Please scroll down to see the list of eligible venues.
This list will be updated weekly. Businesses that would like to start deploying SEGW without waiting to apply for the SEGW Box may do so by using the SafeEntry(Business) app with the SEGW function.
C) Businesses eligible to apply for SEGW Box
The venues listed below will be required to deploy the SEGW as an additional mode of check-in available to customers and visitors from 19 April 2021.Please note that the SEGW is meant as an additional mode of check-in, and other modes of existing check-in are still allowed, and should not be removed.
Businesses operating the listed venues may either choose to deploy the SEGW by downloading/upgrading the SafeEntry (Business) App to version 1.1.0 (released by March) or applying for SEGW Box on the SafeEntry website (www.safeentry.gov.sg/login). This can be done by logging in with their SE business account. These venues may apply for one SEGW Box to cover each existing manned public-facing entry point at no charge, up to a cap of four SEGW Box. They may submit an appeal if they (a) wish to apply for more Box than the existing number of such entry points at their premises and/or (b) have more than four manned public-facing entry points at their premises.
Please note that applications for SEGW Box for use at non-public-facing entrances (e.g. HQ office, loading/unloading bays) and public entrances that have been closed will not be considered.
- Malls and large standalone stores > 930 SQM or 10,000 SQFT*
- Selected popular wet markets (Geylang Serai Market, Block 104 / 105 Yishun Ring Road (Chong Pang Market), Block 20/21 Marsiling Lane, and Block 505 Jurong West Street 52)
- MICE event venues (hotels/convention centres with events for >100pax)
- Gated tourist attractions
- Selected museums, heritage institutions and galleries**
- Cinemas (Golden Village, Cathay Cineplexes, Shaw Theatres, Filmgarde, WE Cinemas, The Projector, Eaglewing Cinematics, Carnival Cinemas and Salt Media@Capital Tower)
- Places of worship (worship services for >100pax)
- Public and Private Hospitals, National Specialty Centres, Community Hospitals and Polyclinics
- Public libraries
- Funeral parlour with wake halls
*Supermarkets and large retail outlets located inside buildings already covered by SafeEntry Gateway (e.g. malls or commercial buildings) with the same operating hours, will not be required to deploy SafeEntry Gateway. Please note that all supermarkets and large retail outlets must continue to enforce SafeEntry check-in, regardless of whether they are located inside buildings covered by SafeEntry Gateways.
** Selected museums will be informed by NHB.
The following venues are eligible to apply for one SEGW Box per venue at no charge via http://www.safeentry.gov.sg/login. Please note that the deployment of SEGW (app or Box) for the following venues is optional. However, venues that choose to apply for and receive SEGW Box are strongly encouraged to deploy them for their customers, students and/or visitors, especially if they are currently unable to accept token check-ins.
- Schools and educational institutes
- Preschools and student care centres
- Tuition and enrichment, training centres, and other training/ class venues (note: excluding outdoor classes)
- Sports and fitness centres, including gyms, studios
- Healthcare facilities
- Residential and community-based care facilities e.g. nursing homes, Senior Activity Centres, Senior Care Centres, Day Activity Centres for Persons with Disabilities
- Clinics, TCM clinics, complementary healthcare facilities
- Places of worship (<100pax services)
- Hotels & hostels
- F&B outlets for dine-in customers
- Personal care services e.g. hairdressers / barbers, spas, beauty and wellness centres
- Facilities providing basic pet services (that do not function on a drop-off, pick-up basis)
- Country and recreation clubs
- Registered premises of other member clubs/societies
- Entertainment venues: amusement centres, computer game centres, board game centres, billiard saloons, paintball game centres, axe-throwing centres
- Showrooms (e.g. property, car)
- Retail bank branches and insurers with customer service locations
D) Resources for businesses
- User Guide to request for SEGW Box
- User Guide to set up SEGW Box
- User Guide to set up SEGW (App).
- Posters to be displayed at venues where SEGW is implemented
For venues using SEGW Box
For venues using SEGW App
For more information on SafeEntry Gateways, please see our FAQs here.
For technical support and queries on SafeEntry Gateways, please submit a request here.